Saturday, May 26, 2012

Eva Longoria Wows On The Red Carpet At The 65th Annual Cannes Film Festival

Hollywood has descended on the south of France for the 65th annual Cannes Film Festival and of course this means fun in the sun, lots of great fashion, and yes, some films too. Yesterday was the opening ceremony for the festival as well as the premiere of Moonrise Kingdom so the stars came out to [...]

At long last, I FINALLY got around to seeing the new Joss Whedon-produced, Drew Goddard-directed suspense thriller The Cabin in the Woods. As you may know, I’ve been CRAZY bizzy lately flying all over the US attending weddings in the past few weeks and this week — at long last — I get a few days to catch my breath. David and I have been really anxious to see Cabin so last night we decided to make it our date night event.




I managed to stay away from plot spoilers so I was pretty surprised by the film. The tagline is “You Think You Know the Story” and it’s the perfect tease. We’re initially supposed to assume the film is a run-of-the-mill slasher flick where teenagers get slaughtered in a remote cabin in the woods. Then, the movie trailers informed us that there is something more going on behind the scenes. BUT, none of that truly prepares you for what REALLY is going on in this film. I don’t want to spoil because I really think it works best when the audience is surprised … but I will say that The Cabin in the Woods is a truly Whedonesque film. It is the most Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel film that we have ever gotten from Whedon. The same humor, the same camp, the same metaphysical fun that we got from BtVS and Angel is showcased PERFECTLY in this new film. I was half expecting the word “hellmouth” to be uttered. And, in all honesty, I was a bit bummed that Wolfram & Hart wasn’t included in the story. Clearly, Whedon and Goddard wanted to tell a Buffy-like story without having any connection to the Buffyverse at all. From the very start of the film, before the movie title is splashed on screen, you get a good understanding for the way the film will turn out. I was beyond thrilled to see that Amy Acker is featured front and center. It was also really fun to see my boy Tom Lenk in the mix as well. I can understand how the folks who aren’t familiar with the genius of the Buffyverse might not get this film … but David loved it and he’s never watched a single episode of Buffy or Angel. The Cabin in the Woods is one of the best suspense films I’ve seen in a very long time. I honestly cannot wait to see it again. If I can get someone to go back with me, I’d see it repeatedly. I loved every single second of Cabin. I’m utterly convinced that Joss Whedon can do no wrong.


Blah. I am still feeling under the weather … my allergies are killing me, I have no energy … it’s really irritating me. I need to go for a run but I just don’t know if I can manage it. If I don’t run today, I’m running tomorrow … for sure. Tonight, I’m seeing The Dandy Warhols in concert so I’m excited for that but … ugh, all this phlegmy coughing is really bringing me down. Ugh. I hope YOUR Thursday is going much better ;)




hearsay that counts
chambre d'hote boersch
Hot hearsay for you
Finance
latest facts

No comments: